“O” is for OBEDIENCE

So if God told you to build an ark, would you “O”bey? Noah did. As I read the story of Noah in the book of Genesis, I sat dumbfounded for two reasons:

• It seemed like God was asking an awful lot of one man;
  • The man simply listened and “O”beyed.

Over and over again, I read the ark’s dimensions…450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high. God told him to use only good timber. The ark had to have 3 decks, multiple rooms, a specific amount of space between the roof and the sides. Then it was to be covered with tar from the inside out. Let’s not even mention gathering animals and food. I think today many of us would have said, “Really God?” Some of us would have even offered “E”xcuses or an “E”xplanation for why the task seemed impossible.

Side Note: Many talk about the fact that Noah’s “O”bedience was most notable because it had never rained. He “O”beyed God without even knowing what rain was. Just being transparent, it could have rained just last week, and I still don’t know if I would have believed I could do something that big. Ok…maybe it’s just me.

Well, Noah did not “I”nquire of the Lord, but I did. How could Noah receive instructions of this magnitude and simply begin working? The scripture repeatedly says, “And Noah did everything that God commanded.”

I waited for God to respond to my inquiry. His answer was so simple, yet my heart was so convicted. As the story of Noah begins in Genesis 6, God tells us a little bit about Noah. We know he was a good man with no faults, but I paused as I read, “He lived in fellowship with God…” I almost thought I was off the hook for big assignments from God. I’m not “bad” but I don’t know if I qualify as “good” and the part about faults…let’s just say I am more than grateful for the Cross! But I pondered over the fact that Noah “lived in fellowship with God.” His communication had to be ongoing and it seemed that he listened more than he spoke. His relationship had to be consistently constant. His “O”bedience had to be a direct result of the relationship reaped by living in fellowship with the Father. He was living in a land where everyone was doing wrong; yet, he was not swayed by their actions or decisions. He was focused on pleasing God.

This made me stop to evaluate my relationship with God. Evaluate yours too. On a scale of 1 to 10, how often do you spend time talking to God? Listening to Him? On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult is it to “O”bey when He speaks? How often do you hesitate because you are not sure if it’s your voice or God’s? I believe Noah’s numbers were off the charts! If your numbers weren’t quite where you would like them to be (mine weren’t either), let’s commit to spending more time with our God just like Noah. Wouldn’t it be awesome for God to say, “(your name) lives in fellowship with me”?

God has something BIG for all of us to do. Your BIG may not be my BIG, but I believe every day He is preparing us for our “ark assignment.” Make your fellowship with Him consistently constant and I believe “O”bedience will not be an issue when your “ark assignment” is given.

Next week, same time same place as we explore the vowel “U”. And as always, leave me a comment. Your heart encourages mine!

Advertisements

8 thoughts on ““O” is for OBEDIENCE

1. KB March 4, 2015 / 7:38 AM

I hear you God. I surrender to your will this morning.

Jesus!

Tj, keep up the good work!

Liked by 1 person

2. Tresha Moore March 4, 2015 / 8:09 AM

TJ! OMG you are all in my mail. God has been speaking for years but I have been asking over and over is it you Lord? I guess if He is saying the same thing over and over it is God! I am done with questioning God, I want His desire for me, I am going to O-bey with everything in me! I want what He wants for me, got to have it, nothing else will ever do! Thanks TJ for sharing your heart it is truly blessing mine! 😘

Liked by 1 person

3. Annette March 4, 2015 / 9:33 AM

My “O” is for “O”MG, on a scale test of 1 to 10 – this week; I would have to take the test over again.
    Obedience is a work in progress for me, but I thank God for Jesus. And I appreciate you and the blessing of sharing your heart.

Liked by 1 person

4. Felicia March 4, 2015 / 10:01 AM

Well… I don’t know what to say other than, God help me. That is my heart’s desire to be so close to God that when He speaks there is no question if it’s Him or not. Sometimes we allow fear to overtake us and talk us out of what we hear from God, but no longer. I will walk in faith not fear! Thank you for sharing your heart!!!

Liked by 1 person

5. Tammy March 4, 2015 / 10:19 AM

Confirmation…thank you for sharing. On Monday in our small group we discussed spiritual order and how we have to engage ourselves in God’s word daily. It’s a process and we just have to be obedient. Thank you for sharing your heart!!!

6. Angela March 4, 2015 / 11:30 AM

OMG! Thank you Lord for T j and her obedience to deliver your Word!
    This Word was/is for me. God knows how disobedient I am especially when
    He gives me a Word for someone else!
    I am convicted and am working on OBEDIENCE!!!
    Thanks TJ!!!

7. Tiffiny March 4, 2015 / 6:02 PM

Awsome….

8. Crystal March 5, 2015 / 2:43 PM

I’m pretty sure Jesus gives me the side eye when using “obey” and my name in the same sentence, but hey, He ain’t through with me yet. I’ve been praying Acts 10:2, He prayed to God regularly, in the hopes that my consistent prayers will help develop my obedience and spiritual discernment, so I no longer have to ask, “is that you God?”